U.S. homeowners have never had as much home equity as they do today. A reverse mortgage is a valuable tool that you can use to create financial freedom.
If you are at least 62 years of age and a homeowner, you may qualify for a reverse mortgage. Reverse mortgages, also known as Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECM), can be a useful financial tool that creates financial freedom for homeowners.
Unlike traditional mortgages, you don’t have to make monthly payments. HECM’s allow qualified homeowners to convert a portion of the equity in their homes into cash without making monthly payments. You can also use a HECM to purchase a new home.
That’s fine, you just need to live in your primary residence for six months and a day.
It depends on what you do with your overall finances. Some heirs may well receive more by the borrower being more efficient with the use of their entire portfolio of assets.
Note: This is not financial advice. Please consult your financial advisor for your specific situation.
Take advantage of some of these reverse mortgage benefits that increase your purchasing power and flexibility.
- No monthly mortgage payments except for taxes, insurance, and maintenance
- Growing line of credit (applies to unused funds)
- Increased discretionary cash flow
- Can sell YOUR home at any time
- Does not require payment until last living borrower permanently leaves the home
- One borrower must be 62 years or older
- Purchased home is required to be your primary residence
- New property must be: single-family home, 2-4 unit dwelling or FHA approved condo
- Must receive reverse mortgage counseling from a HUD approved counseling agency
- You must have an adequate down payment for your new home or a gift from a family member